Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Easy Vegan Banana Muffins

• 2 bananas (preferably ripe)
• 1/3 cup sugar
• 1/4a cup oil
• 1 ¼ cup flour (I use whole wheat, but any will do)
• 2 tsp baking powder
• ½ tsp baking soda
• ½ tsp vanilla
• applesauce (I add a snack cup size – it’s likely ¼ cup)
• Additional/Optional:
o You can add a cup of fruit (apples, blueberries, …) or Chocolate chips (our favorite!) – I use ½ to ¾ of a bag.
o Sprinkle sugar on top before baking (optional)

Mix/beat bananas, sugar, oil. (I use electric mixer, but this whole thing can be done by hand mixing – especially if bananas are really ripe!) I tend to use a lot of baby food. I usually add one jar of squash or sweet potatos to the mix. It's always different, but always tastes great.

Mix in other ingredients. (adding chips last)

Bake at 325 F for 23 minutes. Makes about 12-16 muffins. (Same temp, about 20 minutes for mini-muffin pan.)


** for truly vegan muffins, find dairy free chips at your health food store or
Whole Foods (they make delicious tasting ones!). Tropical Source also makes good ones.

Sample alterations -

one day I added:
1 extra banana
¼ C carrot juice
¼ C applesauce
1 diced prune
¼ C diced apple
¾ scoop protein powder
2 Tablespoons Flaxseed
doubled vanilla to 1 tsp

Another day I added:
1 C canned pumpkin
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp ginger

1 comment:

Michele said...

Thank you!! These are always fantastic.