Thursday, September 8, 2011

Aloo Matar

This recipe came to me from a casserole club I belonged to in Worcester. This was a big hit in our house so I saved the recipe. It was only when I went to make it that I realized there were a few errors - the writer forgot to put onions in the ingredients list or tell us what to do with the tomatoes. So this is a rendition of what I actually did based on that recipe.

Serves 4

1 Tbs butter or ghee
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
2 whole cloves
2 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick (or a 1/2 tsp ground)
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp coriander
2 tomatoes quartered
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup green peas
1 1/4 cup warm water
salt

Heat butter and saute onion until soft. Add seasonings (including salt) and saute another moment. Add potatoes and peas, stir well to coat potatoes. Add water and tomatoes and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer about 15 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Salt to taste.

No comments: