Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Chicken Cacciatore for the slow cooker

Chicken Cacciatore- A savory Crock-Pot Recipe
from- "Don't Panic-Dinner's in the Freezer"


2 medium onions, sliced thin
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1-15 oz can diced tomatoes
1-8 oz can tomato sauce
1 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
2 t. oregano
1/2 t. basil
12 t. celery seed
1 bay leaf
1/4 dry white wine (I used a bit more)
6 boned chicken breasts (I used boneless)


for serving day- pasta


Cooking day instructions- Mix together onions, garlic, tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, herbs, and wine, Place this mixture together with chicken breasts in a freezer bag. Freeze, using freezer bag method.

Serving Day instructions- Place in Crock Pot and cook on low 6-8 hours or on high 2 1/2-4 hours. Serve over pasta

NOTE- I used boneless chicken breasts so it need less cook time- It seemed to be done in about 4 hrs on high- but then I put it on low to keep it warm until dinner time.

2 comments:

Michele said...

I added tomato sauce to this, but I think pepers would have been good too!

Lizami said...

I thought so too- I was surprised the recipe didn't include peppers and I thought it was because they wouldn't freeze well- I think it would be good with mushrooms too- as it really needed some extra stuff in it.