Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Basil Pasta

recipe from Aldo Sicuso

8 oz sun-dried tomatoes, slivered lengthwise, with their oil (I use Pastene brand which is 7 oz)
1 cup Calamata or other Imported black olives, pitted and halved
1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, slivered
¼ cup grated lemon zest, about 3 lemons
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper (I put in less)
12 oz Brie cheese, rind removed, coarsely shredded (see note)
½ cup + 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (I use 1 tablespoon plus the oil from the tomatoes)
1 lb pasta – linguine, penne, rotelle (I use farfalle)

Combine the sun-dried tomatoes, ¼ cup of the oil from the tomatoes, olives, basil, lemon zest, garlic, pepper, Brie and ½ cup olive oil (I use about a tablespoon) in a large serving bowl. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 4 hours.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and the pasta. Cook at a rolling boil until just tender. Drain the pasta and immediately toss with the sauce. Serve at once. Makes 6 portions. (I like at room temperature or warm.)

Note: Place Brie in the freezer, well wrapped, for 1 hour before using. The rind will slice off easily and the cheese will be easier to shred. (or chop into small cubes). It’s hard to find exactly 12 oz of brie, so I have probably added less.

No comments: